What is Oral Cancer? Are there any available preventive measures to be taken? Is there a cure? All these questions about Oral cancer and more. Everyone deserves to be fully aware of the condition for them to keep track of their overall health. At Alora Dentistry, we fully understand the severity, risks factors, and the signs to watch out for. We offer Oral Cancer Screening to ensure the overall dental wellness of our patients.
What is Oral Cancer?
Oral Cancer is a condition that could affect a person’s mouth such as the lips, teeth, gums, tongue, roof or floor of the mouth, and the tissue linings. Cancer is described by the uncontrollable growth of the cells which causes damage to the tissues. Early detection of this condition plays a vital role in its effective prevention and cure.
What causes Oral Cancer?
- Smoking tobacco and cigarettes: These products are known to have chemicals that are carcinogenic to humans. Carcinogenic is a term used to a substance that can potentially cause cancer.
- Excessive alcohol consumption: Alcohol is harmful to the human body, it can limit the reparative properties of the cells and even cause dry mouth. Partnered with smoking, it could even cause more damage by helping the harmful chemicals enter the cells that line the mouth.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: The proper maintenance and care of your dental health start in your homes. Without proper oral hygiene practice, the bacterias that cause damage to the mouth are left to progress further and cause intensive complications like Oral Cancer.
- Poor nutrition: Poor nutrition without question can cause harm to the overall health. It is known to increase the risk of developing Oral cancer. It is due to the lack of minerals and vitamins needed for the maintenance of your overall dental health.
What are the Symptoms of Oral cancer?
The early stages of Oral cancer are not easily noticeable, which makes Oral cancer screening much more important.
- Lumps and bumps in your mouth especially in the gum area
- Difficulty of chewing and swallowing
- A sore throat
- White and red patches in the mouth
- Stiffness and Jaw or Tongue pain
- Numbness around your mouth and neck area
- Unexplained bleeding in your gums
- Sudden weight loss
- Rough patches building in the lining of your mouth
- Pain in your ear and neck
Why is Oral Cancer Screening Important?
Oral Cancer Screening aims to provide effective prevention and even treatment to patients. The process is performed by the dentist to look for the early signs of the disease to take immediate precautionary measures to ensure its treatment.
- The procedure is not as complicated as you think. The dentist will thoroughly check inside of your mouth for any signs that might potentially develop oral cancer. Any issues found by the dentist would require immediate attention.
- The key to the effective cure is by detecting the problem as early as possible. This thought applies to almost all health concerns, but most especially to oral cancer. Oral cancer screening can help in ensuring patients in the early detection and prevention of the disease.
You deserve outstanding dental care services. We provide Oral Cancer Screening in NAPA, CA for proper care and prevention for your overall dental health. Book your appointment with us at Alora Dentistry and let us help you achieve a beautiful and a healthy smile!