Smoking Will Ruin Your Oral Health
Many people are shocked to see people out and about smoking. Millions of people across the world have died or suffered from long-term medical issues as a direct result of smoking and using tobacco products. While smoking is no longer actively promoted in TV shows and movies, many smoking-related deaths and diseases continue to occur every year. Smoking in 2021 is just as dangerous as it has ever been, but perhaps you don’t know that smoking will also ruin your oral health.
The dangerous consequences of smoking go far beyond bad breath and discolored teeth. Bad breath can be masked with mouthwash or chewing gum, and teeth can be whitened. However, the following effects of smoking on your smile cannot be masked – and they pose a threat to more than just your smile.
- Gum Disease – Severe gum disease is irreversible, and it can cause damage to your teeth as well as your overall health. Gum disease has been linked to heart disease, diabetes, miscarriage, and low-weight births. The CDC states that people who smoke are twice as likely to develop gum disease.
- Weakened Immune System – Chemicals in tobacco cause the immune system to become compromised. When immunity is low, people have a weakened defense against infections inside the mouth, other illnesses and diseases, and they experience a more extended recovery period from surgical procedures.
- Tooth Decay and Tooth Loss – The mouth is home to millions of oral bacteria. Tobacco heightens bacterial production, which leads to oral health concerns like cavities, decay, tartar buildup, gum infections, and tooth loss.
- Mouth Sores & Ulcers – With a weakened immune system, the mouth is susceptible to inflammation and infection. Tobacco is an abrasive substance that causes oral irritation. Tobacco users are much more prone to developing mouth sores and ulcers.
- Gum Recession – Receding gums are an adverse effect of unhealthy oral habits. Gum tissues are necessary for protecting the roots and structure of the teeth. Without full gum coverage, the stability of the teeth and the health of the smile will be compromised.
- Oral Cancer – Cancer, in any form, can be deadly. The harmful chemicals present in tobacco products cause mutation in the healthy cells of the mouth and throat.
At Alora Dentistry, we encourage all tobacco users to abandon tobacco use. Your smile, your health, and your life depend on it.