If you steal a quick look in the mirror, would you classify your teeth as white? Now, hold up a white towel or napkin next to your smile – would you change your mind? Most people’s teeth are not as white as they think. Age, genetics, and diet play a significant role in the color of your teeth. While many people believe that the only way to whiten their teeth is by spending a few hundred dollars on professional teeth whitening treatments, there are things you can do daily to enhance your smile. Of course, professional teeth whitening will give you the fastest and most dramatic results – but don’t let that limit you on what you can do each day.
Habits are developed over time. Both good and bad habits must be formed, and they can be broken. Below are some bad habits and good habits that affect the appearance and whiteness of your smile.
- Drinking soda – One of the worst things you can do for your oral health and overall health is drinking soda. Soft drinks contain an excessive amount of sugar, which can lead to cavities, gum disease, tooth decay, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Sodas also contain stain-causing coloring and chemicals that are known to damage your smile.
- Overindulging in alcohol – Alcohol is incredibly acidic, and it also contains a high amount of sugar. Alcohol also has coloring agents that will stain your teeth.
- Eating and drinking foods that are highly acidic – Juices, citrus fruits, sour candies, and alcohol all contain a lot of acids. Acids eat away at the tooth enamel, leaving the teeth vulnerable to discoloration and decay.
- Drinking water – Water is the healthiest substance on the planet. It helps detoxify the mouth and body, keeps it hydrated, and contains no harmful ingredients.
- Rinsing your mouth after eating and drinking – Taking the time to rinse your mouth with water for 30 seconds after eating and drinking will help wash away stain-causing residue that is left behind.
- Practice good oral hygiene – Floss your teeth at least once a day and brush at least twice. Proper oral hygiene will remove damaging dental plaque from staining your teeth. Good oral hygiene will also prevent gum disease, cavities, tooth decay, diabetes, and other health concerns.
Your smile can be one of your most remarkable features. By taking a few simple steps to boost your smile’s appearance, and by avoiding some bad habits, you can help keep your teeth whiter and looking their best.
Contact Alora Dentistry today to learn more.
Posted on behalf of Alora Dentistry